Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.
Are you looking for a delicious way to start your day? Why not try out this Nutella protein shake for your morning shake, made with chocolate protein powder, banana, cashew milk, Nutella and ice. This nutritious breakfast drink will leave you feeling energized and ready to conquer the world!
Why We Love This Banana Nutella Protein Shake Recipe
I created this recipe for my oldest son, who is a huge Nutella fan. Most of our boys get Nutella cravings and love the stuff, so much so that we buy it at Sam’s! Now, I know it’s not the healthiest so I don’t let them eat too much of it, but when you top your freshly made bread with a bit or add it to a Nutella smoothie it just gives that extra layer of flavor.
He gave it two thumbs up so it continues to be a wonderful addition to our smoothies and protein shake rotation. He’s a teenager so I feel good knowing he’s getting the extra protein but also a delicious treat. The boys will have one for breakfast or for an afternoon snack, and sometimes we even use this as a healthy dessert to satisfy a sweet tooth without a ridiculous amount of sugar!
Personally I’m on a weight loss diet, so Nutella is not on the menu for me, but I do sneak a taste when I make these and adding Nutella really does take a chocolate smoothie or protein shake to the next level!
Ingredients in Our Nutella Protein Shake
Of course it wouldn’t really be a Nutella protein shake without Nutella!! I’ve seen several recipes that just use chocolate and hazelnuts and say it’s a “nutella shake” but for me it’s got to have the real thing for that flavor.
If you don’t have Nutella and you want to substitute, you can use cocoa powder or cacao powder and toasted hazelnuts or hazelnut butter to give a similar flavor, but of course it won’t be exactly the same.
Bananas just add a creaminess and sweetness to a smoothie you don’t find much with other fruit, so you find bananas a lot in our recipes. This recipe is chocolate-y and delicious and doesn’t taste of bananas, so don’t worry if you aren’t a huge fan.
If you want an even thicker and creamier smoothie, go for a frozen banana. I used fresh with ice in this recipe, but you could cut down on the ice if you add a frozen banana. If you have a high-speed blender throw the whole banana in, otherwise you might want to try banana slices.
I used this because it is what I am currently using for my weight loss shakes, but you can feel free to use any type of milk you like. We tend to keep a lot of non-dairy milk in the house because we have one son who is allergic to dairy (we make our own Nutella for him that’s vegan) and I find it works better for my diet, too.
You can use dairy milk (low fat or whole milk), soy milk, Greek yogurt with a bit of water, almond milk or any other milk of your choice. The cashew milk is delicious.
Chocolate Protein Powder
Here is where the protein comes in! Make it extra chocolate-y with your favorite chocolate protein powder. We used to use whey protein until my son’s dairy allergies, so now we use chocolate collagen protein from Vital Proteins and I love it. Absolutely my favorite protein powder – I love all the flavors! It’s a delicious option for some protein and chocolate flavor, plus the collagen is great for your skin, nails and hair.
Next time you are shopping for protein powder give it a try (unless you are vegan of course!). You won’t be disappointed. We get the big tubs at Sam’s, and you can also get it at Amazon and most other stores. Our local grocery store carries it as well.
Any protein powder will work, just use whatever one serving of your powder is. Try to choose ones that do not have artificial sweeteners and look for a at least 20 grams of protein per serving.
- Delicious Chocolate Collagen Peptides: The same grass-fed, pasture-raised collagen you know and love, but with an added flavor boost from alkalized cocoa powder and a touch of stevia.
- Health Benefits: Supports healthy hair, bones, joints, and nails. Collagen also boosts workout recovery by supporting healthy muscles, tendons, bones and joints. **
- Easy to Use: Combine 4 tbsp with 8 fl oz water, mix thoroughly. For best results, use a shaker cup or blender.
- Certifications: Made with 0g of added sugar^^,made without gluten / soy / dairy. Paleo & keto friendly, Natural chocolate flavor.
- 20g Collagen Powder Per Serving: While we are going scoopless, the recommended dosages will stay the same. We encourage consumers to follow the measurement guidance on our updated label, which provides servings measured in tablespoons.
I added ice to our smoothie because I was using a fresh banana and wanted it cold and thick. This worked out wonderfully and didn’t take down the chocolate flavor. Adding ice is totally optional, but I feel it helped this smoothie’s texture and temperature since the only cold item I added was the milk.
How to Blend a Nutella Protein Shake
Here’s a quick and easy way to make your delicious Nutella protein shake.
First, add the banana, cashew milk, chocolate protein powder, Nutella, and ice into a blender.
Blend until all the ingredients are completely combined. Pour the mixture into a glass and enjoy!
If your shake is too thin, add more ice or frozen banana or even oats or chia seeds and blend again.
If your shake is too thick, add more milk or water and blend again until you get the desired consistency.
If your taste buds are used to super sweet foods, try adding in a splash of honey or maple syrup, or even throw in a couple of pitted dates as an extra sweetener.
You’ll Also Love These Other Chocolate Smoothie Recipes
How to Customize This Protein Shake
Take your high protein shake to the next level by adding in some extra ingredients! Here are a few ideas for how you can customize this shake recipe:
- Add spinach, kale, or other greens for an added boost of nutrients.
- Swap out the banana for a handful of fresh berries.
- Sprinkle in some chia seeds for a fiber-rich crunch.
- Top it with crushed almonds and dark chocolate chips (and even a little whipped cream or chocolate syrup for a dessert smoothie!).
- Drizzle with honey or agave nectar as a natural sweetener.
- Stir in almond butter or peanut butter to give it an extra creamy texture, healthy fat and more protein.
Nutella Protein Shake
- Measuring Equipment
- 2 Tbsp Nutella
- 1 medium banana (fresh or frozen)
- 1 serving protein powder (check label, ours was 2 scoops)
- 1 cup milk of choice (I use cashew milk)
- 1 cup ice (optional, but recommended)
- Add all ingredients to blender.
- Blend until smooth.
Note: You can adjust the amount of Nutella to taste and use any type of milk you prefer. You can also add a handful of spinach or kale for a boost of nutrients.
Final Thoughts on Our Nutella Protein Shake
There you have it! Whether you’re looking for a quick pre-workout snack or a sweet after-dinner treat, this Nutella protein shake is sure to satisfy. Not only is it delicious and easy to make, but you can customize it to your liking by adding any of the suggested ingredients.
We hope you enjoy whipping up this delightful concoction as much as we do!