Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.
Losing weight is a common goal many people have, but it can be difficult to achieve. One way to help support your weight loss goals is by incorporating collagen into your diet, and our collagen smoothie for weight loss can help.
It also has other benefits, such as reducing joint pain, improving skin elasticity, reducing the appearance of wrinkles, and helping with hair and nail health.
In this blog post, we’ll share a recipe for a healthy collagen smoothie that can help support your weight loss efforts and give you more information about collagen and its use in smoothies.
What is Collagen?
Collagen is a protein that is found in the connective tissue of animals. It helps maintain and build muscle mass, and can help you feel full longer.
Collagen peptides are made up of amino acids, which are the building blocks of proteins.
Collagen is the most abundant protein in the human body and makes up about 30% of its total protein content.
As we age, our bodies produce less collagen, which can lead to wrinkles and joint pain.
Adding collagen to your diet can help counteract these effects of aging.
How Can Collagen Help with Weight Loss?
Collagen can help you lose weight in several ways. Although there haven’t been many studies that have directly linked collagen and weight loss, many signs point to its ability to help.
First, it’s a protein, so it can help you feel full longer and reduce food cravings.
It can also help increase muscle mass and reduce fat accumulation.
Not only that, but collagen has other benefits, too. It can help with joint pain, improve skin elasticity, reduce the appearance of wrinkles, and help your hair and nail health.
Better hair, skin and nails and the possibility of helping with weight loss? Yes, please!
Why We Love This Collagen Smoothie for Weight Loss
This collagen smoothie is a great way to get all the benefits of collagen protein while satisfying your sweet tooth, and you won’t get a lot of calories or fat in this smoothie, either.
It’s made with simple ingredients that are both healthy and delicious. I love knowing I’m benefiting my skin, hair and nails while drinking something that’s healthy.
Collagen production slows as you age, and now that I’m over 40 I want to get colagen in my diet, so I use a collagen supplement in powder form.
I also give this to my kids because it’s unprocessed, gluten free and dairy free with no added sugar. It’s a win all around in my book!
Ingredients in Our Collagen Smoothie Recipe
You’ll find banana in many recipes on this site because it gives a natural sweetness to a smoothie. Banans are also full of nutrients like vitamin C, potassium and fiber.
When I can I use a frozen banana in my smoothie recipes, and this one is no exception. A frozen banana gives a creaminess that a fresh banana can’t match.
Chia seeds are a great source of fiber and protein, and they also contain omega-3 fatty acids. Adding chia seeds to a smoothie can help you feel full longer.
You can buy black chia seeds in your local grocery store. Some have them in the baking section and others keep them in a natural foods section of the store.
Chocolate Collagen Powder
This is the main ingredient in our collagen smoothie recipe. It’s what gives the smoothie it’s protein and collagen content.
If you have unflavored collagen protein powder, don’t despair. Just use your unflavored powder and add a tablespoon of cocoa or cacao powder.
You can find collagen powder online or in some health food stores. I actually got mine at Sam’s! Look for a brand without any added sugars or sweeteners (Stevia and monk fruit are okay with me).
- Delicious Chocolate Collagen Peptides —- The same grass-fed, pasture-raised collagen you konw and love, but with an added flavor boost from alkalized cocoa powder and a touch of stevia.
- Health Benefits —- Supports healthy hair, bones, joints, and nails. Collagen also boosts workout recovery by supporting healthy muscles, tendons, bones and joints. **
- Easy to Use —- Add 1-2 scoops to your favorite beverage or recipe, stir & enjoy. For better results, mix when adding to hot beverages and shake when adding to cold.
- Certifications —- Made without added sugar^^/ gluten / soy / dairy, paleo & keto friendly. Natural chocolate flavor.
- 20g Collagen Powder per Serving —- We provide a scoop to measure it, which two scoops of powder = 20g of collagen. 20g Collagen Powder per Serving —- We provide a scoop to measure it, which two scoops of powder = 20g of collagen.
- LOOK RADIANT & YOUTHFUL: Collagen peptides type 1 and 3 provide the proteins & amino acids necessary to support healthy bones, skin & nails as well as improving joint function and your body’s response to strenuous exercise. Help realize your inner beauty from within – with just one scoop per day. Looking for more hair, skin & nail support? Check out our Collagen Beauty products.
- MORE COLLAGEN PER SCOOP: Our collagen peptide powder with dark chocolate cocoa is naturally flavored with monk fruit and sea salt and contains collagen peptides sourced from cattle. Get more collagen per scoop – each scoop of our collagen protein powder contains 11 grams of collagen peptides type 3 and 1 with 18 amino acids including glycine, proline, and hydroxyproline. Our powdered collagen has 11 grams of protein per serving in only 40 calories.
- EASY TO USE: Meet your new morning ritual! Conveniently and easily soluble in hot or cold liquids, Sports Research Collagen Peptides taste great in a coffee, smoothie, shake, or latte. Our hydrolyzed formula is an easy way to supplement collagen type 1 and collagen type 3 into your day. Collagen peptides powder for women and men provides support for healthy joints, bones, skin & nails.
- PACKAGED IN THE USA: Our products are made in cGMP compliant facilities in the United States, using only the best ingredients from domestic & international origins. For us, it’s all about quality control – so you can have confidence in your dietary supplements.
- THE SPORTS RESEARCH DIFFERENCE: Created in 1980, Sports Research is a privately-owned business born from a passion for fitness, wellness, and healing. Our goal is to help people live their best lives through real, research-backed ingredients created for every body — inside and out. We’re fully dedicated to sourcing the highest quality products from around the world, backed by third party testing. We all deserve the best in our quest for healthy living. Our mission is to give you just that.
Coconut water is a great source of electrolytes, which are important for proper hydration. It’s also low in calories and has a natural sweetness that pairs well with the other ingredients in this smoothie.
If you don’t like coconut water, you can use plain water, coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk in its place.
How to Make a Collagen Smoothie
Making a collagen smoothie is very simple thanks to collagen powders. Just add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into a glass and drink immediately.
If you want to make ahead, you can make the smoothie and store it in the fridge for up to 24 hours or freeze it for up to 3 months. Just make sure to give it a good mixing (shake or stir) before consuming.
You’ll Love These Other Healthy Smoothies
How to Customize This Healthy Smoothie Recipe
Make it green: Add a handful of swiss chard, kale or spinach to your smoothie. This adds a ton of nutrients without a lot of calories (and no fat!).
Make it nutty: Add a tablespoon of nut butter such as almond butter or peanut butter to this smoothie. This will add some healthy fat and make the smoothie more filling.
Make it more chocolatey: If you want an extra chocolate boost, add a tablespoon of cocoa powder or cacao powder. You can even top with cacao nibs or a few chocolate chips (we won’t tell anybody!).
Make it a smoothie bowl: If you want to turn this into a smoothie bowl, just reduce the amount of liquid in the recipe, pour it into a bowl and top with your favorite toppings. Some of our favorites are granola, fresh fruit or coconut flakes. Cacao nibs and dried goji berries work well, too!
Add superfoods: You can add any number of superfoods to this smoothie recipe. Spirulina, chlorella, maca powder and acai powder are all great additions. Just start with a teaspoon and add more to taste.
Common Questions about Collagen and Smoothies
Yes, you can mix collagen powder in smoothies. In fact, it’s a great way to get your daily dose of collagen! It blends well in hot or cold liquids and doesn’t clump, so it’s an easy choice to scoop some up in your blender.
You can use regular protein powder in place of collagen powder, but you won’t get the same health benefits that come with collagen. Collagen is great for your skin, hair, nails and joints, so if you’re looking for those benefits, you’ll want to use collagen powder.
If you have unflavored collagen powder, don’t despair. Just use your unflavored powder and add a tablespoon of cocoa or cacao powder. This will give your smoothie a chocolate flavor without adding any additional sweeteners.
A collagen smoothie will last in the fridge for up to 24 hours or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just make sure to give it a good mixing (shake or stir) before consuming.
Collagen Smoothie for Weight Loss
- Measuring Equipment
- 1 medium banana (fresh or frozen)
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 scoops chocolate protein powder (or 1 serving of your brand)
- 1 cup coconut water
- Add all ingredients to blender.
- Blend on high speed until smooth.
Final Thoughts on Our Collagen Smoothie for Weight Loss
This healthy collagen smoothie is perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth while getting the benefits of collagen protein. Packed with nutrients and low in calories, this smoothie is a great choice for breakfast or a snack. Add your favorite toppings to make it a complete meal or enjoy as is!