Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.
Looking for a refreshing and nutritious way to start your day or recharge after a workout? Look no further than this delicious watermelon protein smoothie recipe.
Packed with juicy watermelon, sweet strawberries, unflavored collagen protein powder, and nondairy milk, this smoothie is a perfect blend of flavor and nutrition.
Why We Love This Strawberry Watermelon Smoothie
As a mom of four boys, I am always looking for ways to keep my kids healthy and satisfied. This watermelon protein smoothie is a game-changer for our family! The sweet and refreshing taste of watermelon combined with the protein and fiber from the collagen powder and non-dairy milk make it the perfect breakfast or snack option for my active boys.
Not only is this smoothie delicious and nutritious, but it’s also incredibly easy to make. With just a few simple ingredients and a blender, I can whip up a batch in no time. Plus, it’s a great way to sneak in some extra fruits and protein into my boys’ diets without any complaints. Overall, this watermelon protein smoothie has become a staple in our household, and I highly recommend it to any busy moms out there looking for a healthy and tasty treat for their kids.
Ingredients in Our Watermelon Protein Shake
Watermelon is not only delicious but also incredibly nutritious. It is an excellent source of vitamins A and C, as well as lycopene and citrulline, which have been linked to various health benefits. Lycopene, for example, is a powerful antioxidant that can help protect against certain types of cancer and cardiovascular disease, while citrulline has been shown to improve blood flow and reduce muscle soreness after exercise.
In addition to its many health benefits, fresh watermelon is also the perfect ingredient for a protein smoothie. It is naturally sweet and juicy, making for a delicious and refreshing drink. Watermelon also has a high water content, which helps to keep you hydrated and can aid in digestion.
I love making this when we have watermelon for dinner and then have leftover watermelon in the refrigerator. It make a perfect breakfast smoothie ingredient, or a refresher for a hot summer day.
Strawberries are a tasty and nutritious addition to any smoothie. They are packed with vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, folate, potassium, and fiber. Vitamin C, in particular, is an important antioxidant that helps to protect the body against damage from free radicals, which can lead to chronic disease.
One of the most significant health benefits of strawberries is their anti-inflammatory properties. They contain several compounds, including anthocyanins, that have been shown to reduce inflammation in the body. This makes them an excellent choice for anyone looking to improve their overall health and wellbeing.
In addition to their anti-inflammatory properties, strawberries are also relatively low in calories and high in fiber. This means they can help to keep you feeling full and satisfied, which can aid in weight loss and weight management.
Unflavored Protein Powder
Collagen protein powder is a popular supplement that has been gaining popularity in recent years due to its many health benefits. Collagen is the most abundant protein in the human body and plays a critical role in maintaining healthy skin, hair, nails, and joints.
As we age, our body’s natural collagen production decreases, which can lead to wrinkles, joint pain, and other signs of aging. By adding collagen protein powder to this watermelon smoothie, we are not only boosting its protein content but also providing our bodies with the building blocks needed to maintain healthy skin, hair, nails, and joints.
In addition to its beauty benefits, collagen protein powder has also been shown to improve gut health and aid in digestion. It contains amino acids that help to repair and strengthen the gut lining, reducing inflammation and promoting healthy digestion.
Finally, collagen protein powder can also help to support healthy muscle growth and repair. It contains high levels of the amino acid glycine, which is essential for building lean muscle mass and promoting healthy recovery after exercise.
Here is my favorite brand of collagen protein powder. You can get it on Amazon below or at Sam’s (which is where I get mine).
- 1 Simple Ingredient: Collagen Peptides is a premium powdered supplement that features hydrolyzed collagen peptides — sourced from the hides of grass-fed, pasture-raised cows — to support hair, skin, nail, bone and joint health.**^
- Easy To Use: Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides is easily digested and dissolves in cold or hot liquids, like coffee, tea and smoothies.
- High quality: Sourced from the hides of grass-fed, pasture-raised bovine to ensure a high quality and sustainable source of this powerful ingredient.
- Made With You In Mind: Whole30 Approved, Paleo Friendly, Kosher, Grass Fed + Pasture Raised, Made Without Gluten & Dairy, 0g Sugar*
- 20g Collagen Powder Per Serving: While we are going scoopless, the recommended dosages will stay the same. We encourage consumers to follow the measurement guidance on our updated label, which provides servings measured in tablespoons.
Plant-based milk is a popular ingredient in smoothies, especially for those who are lactose intolerant or following a vegan diet. It is also a great way to add some extra nutrients and flavor to your smoothie without adding any unwanted calories or fat.
There are several options for nondairy milk that can be used in this watermelon protein smoothie, including almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk, oat milk, and hemp milk. Almond milk is a popular choice due to its creamy texture and nutty flavor, while coconut milk adds a tropical twist and a bit of natural sweetness. Soy milk is high in protein and is a great option for those who need to boost their protein intake, while oat milk is high in fiber and can help to keep you feeling full and satisfied.
Ice is an essential ingredient in this watermelon protein smoothie for several reasons. First, it helps to make the smoothie cold and refreshing, making it perfect for hot summer days or after a workout. Secondly, it adds a bit of texture to the smoothie, making it thicker and creamier.
Adding ice to the smoothie also helps to preserve the nutrients and flavors of the other ingredients. By blending the ice with the watermelon, strawberries, and collagen protein powder, it helps to break down the fibers and create a smoother, more consistent texture, which is easier to digest and absorb.
While honey is an optional ingredient in this watermelon protein smoothie, it can be a great addition for those who want to add a bit of sweetness to their drink without using refined sugars or artificial sweeteners.
Honey is a natural sweetener that has been used for thousands of years for its many health benefits. It contains antioxidants and antibacterial properties that can help to boost your immune system and reduce inflammation in the body. It’s also a good source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B6, niacin, and calcium.
In addition to its health benefits, honey can also add some extra flavor and complexity to the smoothie, complementing the sweetness of the watermelon and strawberries. Just be sure to use it in moderation, as honey is still high in sugar and calories and can quickly add up if you use too much. You can also use maple syrup.
You’ll Also Love These Other Protein Smoothie Recipes
How to Customize This Easy Watermelon Protein Smoothie
There are many ways to customize this watermelon protein smoothie recipe to suit your personal preferences and dietary needs. Here are some ideas:
- Increase the grams of protein by adding an extra scoop of collagen protein powder or a tablespoon of chia seeds or hemp seeds.
- Add more ice cubes for a thicker and creamier consistency.
- Use seedless watermelon for a smoother texture.
- Add a ripe banana for extra sweetness and creaminess.
- Swap out the strawberries for your favorite fresh fruit or frozen fruit.
- Make a watermelon banana smoothie by adding a ripe banana to the recipe.
- Add a dollop of Greek yogurt for natural sugars and creaminess.
- Make a banana watermelon smoothie by using more banana than watermelon.
- Add sweet fruit like mango or pineapple for a tropical twist.
- Add healthy fats like avocado or nut butter for extra nutrition and creaminess.
- Use frozen watermelon instead of ice cubes for a colder smoothie.
- Use plant based protein powder for a vegan version.
- Make it keto-friendly by using keto yogurt and adding your favorite low-carb fruit.
- Use whole foods and natural ingredients to keep the added sugar content low.
- Customize the sweetness, consistency, and flavor to your personal preference.
- Use frozen fruit instead of ice cubes for a creamier consistency.
- Make a fruit salad smoothie by using leftover watermelon and other fresh fruit.
- Use watermelon juice instead of fresh watermelon for a lighter breakfast.
- Customize it for a healthy weight loss plan by using low calorie foods and avoiding added sugar.
- Make it a watermelon yogurt smoothie by adding some dairy or dairy free yogurt to the recipe.
- Make the recipe vegan by using a plant-based protein powder and non-dairy milk.
Tips for This Easy Watermelon Smoothie Recipe
- Store leftover smoothie in an airtight container in the fridge for later.
- Freeze leftover smoothie in an ice cube tray or on a parchment-lined cookie sheet for a refreshing treat on a hot day.
- Top with fresh strawberries or a sprinkle of chia seeds for added nutrition and flavor.
- Make it in a regular blender or food processor if you don’t have a high-powered blender.
- Experiment with different protein smoothies to find your favorite recipe.
- Check the nutrition information to make sure it fits your dietary needs and goals.
- Add yogurt and spread the smoothie mixture on a baking sheet and freeze for a delicious watermelon yogurt bark.
Watermelon Protein Smoothie
- Measuring Equipment
- 2 cups watermelon (seeds removed, if any)
- 1 cup strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 scoops unflavored collagen protein powder (or 1 serving of other protein powder)
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- 1/2 cup ice
- 1 Tbsp honey (optional)
- Add all ingredients to blender.
- Blend on high speed until smooth.
Final Thoughts on Our Watermelon Protein Smoothie
This watermelon protein smoothie is a delicious and nutritious way to start your day or refuel after a workout. With its blend of juicy watermelon, sweet strawberries, and unflavored collagen protein powder, it’s the perfect way to add some extra protein to your diet in an easy and simple way. Whether you’re looking for a creamy smoothie or a light and refreshing drink, this recipe can be customized to suit your personal preferences and dietary needs.
By adding some healthy ingredients like chia seeds, hemp seeds, or healthy fats, you can boost the nutrition content of this smoothie even further, making it the perfect way to support healthy eating and weight management. And if you’re in a rush, the simple watermelon smoothie is a great option for a quick and easy breakfast on the go.
There are many ways to enjoy this smoothie as a healthy breakfast, whether you’re looking for an extra protein boost or a creamy smoothie to satisfy your cravings. So give this watermelon protein smoothie a try and see for yourself why it’s the perfect way to start your day on a healthy and delicious note.