Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.
If you’re looking for a delicious and nutritious way to improve your gut health, look no further than bone broth smoothies! Bone broth is packed with nutrients that can help heal your gut and support optimal health. And when combined with fresh fruits and vegetables, it makes a delicious and satisfying smoothie with amazing health benefits that you can enjoy anytime.
Don’t think that because a smoothie contains bone broth it’s going to be savory or soup-like. On the contrary, when made correctly, bone broth smoothies can be sweet and refreshing. The key is to use high-quality ingredients and to find the right balance of flavors.
What is bone broth?
The long cooking time allows the marrow and nutrients from the bones to seep into the water, creating a nutrient-dense broth. Bone broth is rich in minerals, including calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium. It’s also a good source of collagen, which is essential for gut health.
You can use chicken broth or beef broth for these recipes, but many people think that chicken is a good option if you want to hide the taste. If you really want the benefits of beef bone broth, consider bone broth powder in your green drinks.
Why drink bone broth?
There are many benefits to drinking bone broth, especially for gut health. The nutrients in bone broth can help heal the gut lining and support a healthy digestive system.
Here are some of the benefits of bone broth:
- good for digestion and gut health
- it may support immune function
- could possibly be anti-aging
- is known for helping with joint health
- may help promote sleep
When it comes to gut health, bone broth is a true superfood. It’s rich in collagen and gelatin, which support gut lining and help heal leaky gut. Bone broth is also a good source of glutamine, an amino acid that’s critical for gut health.
So why is bone broth so good for gut health? Bone broth contains collagen, which is a key protein that helps to heal the gut lining. It also contains amino acids like glycine and proline, which support detoxification and help to reduce inflammation. Bone broth is also a great source of minerals like calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium, which are all essential for gut health.
Why bone broth smoothies?
Smoothies are a perfect way to get more bone broth into your diet. They’re easy to make, and you can customize them to suit your taste. You can add whatever fruits and vegetables you like, and they’re a great way to sneak in some extra bone broth when you’re on the go.
Bone broth smoothies are also a great way to up your intake of vitamins and minerals. When you add bone broth to a smoothie, you’re getting a nutrient-dense drink that’s packed with gut-healing nutrients.
How to make these gut-healing smoothies
When it comes to making bone broth smoothies, the sky’s the limit. You can add whatever fruits and vegetables you like, as well as other ingredients like nut butter or honey. The key is to find a balance of flavors that you enjoy.
You can use homemade or store-bought bone broth (we prefer homemade) and you can even get bone broth protein powder, which makes for some super easy bone broth smoothies. And, since it comes in several flavors, you won’t even know it’s there!
Tips for making the perfect bone broth smoothie:
1. Use high-quality ingredients. This is important for taste and nutrition. Look for bone broth that is made with grass-fed beef or organic chicken bones. You can also make your own bone broth.
2. Find the right balance of flavors. You don’t want your smoothie to be too sweet or too savory. Start with a base of bone broth and then add in fruits and vegetables until you find a combination that you like. Aren’t sure where to start? Try one of the easy recipes below.
3. Use frozen fruits and vegetables. This will make your smoothie thick and creamy. A frozen banana is a great option, as frozen bananas add creaminess and sweetness.
4. Add a source of protein. This will help to keep you full and satisfied. Bone broth protein powder is a great option, as it’s easy to add to smoothies and it provides a good amount of protein. You can also add other sources of protein like nut butter or Greek yogurt.
5. Add healthy fats. This will help to make your smoothie more filling and satisfying. Healthy fats also help with absorption of vitamins and minerals. Good options include avocado, coconut oil, and chia seeds.
6. Sweeten it up. If you find that your smoothie is too savory, you can add a touch of sweetness to balance it out. Honey, maple syrup, and dates are all great options for a refreshing sweet smoothie
7. Drink it up! Bone broth smoothies are best enjoyed fresh, so drink them up as soon as you make them. If you have leftovers, store them in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
Our favorite bone broth smoothie recipes
Mixed Berry Bone Broth Smoothie from Kettle & Fire
This smoothie uses frozen bone broth ice cubes to get the healing broth into the fruit smoothie without a strong taste. With mixed berries and banana, this is a sweet and fruity smoothie that doesn’t disappoint.
Greens and Ginger Bone Broth Smoothie from Pacific Foods
This smoothie uses packaged bone broth with ginger and adds mango, dates and nondairy milk to round out the smoothie. It also contains banana, so with the tropical fruit it’s a nice way to get your broth in. You can also use broth without ginger if you don’t like it.
Berry Bone Broth Smoothie from Wanderlust & Wellness
Bananas, coconut milk, lots of berries, spinach and some chicken bone broth round out this next smoothie. You get all the antioxidants in berries and spinach with the goodness of bone broth, so it’s a win all around.
Iced Chocolate Coffee Bone Broth Smoothie from Bessie Bakes
This site is full of great resources on making and using bone broth, as well as the author’s story of weight loss with bone broth, so there’s a ton of information here you’re going to want to check out if you are interested in adding bone broth to your diet. This idea of using chocolate and coffee to mask the taste of bone broth is genius (and delicious)!
Bone Broth Protein Mocha Fudge Smoothie from Dr. Axe
I love Dr. Axe for all of his great health information, and his articles about bone broth and its benefits are no exception. This recipe uses bone broth protein powder for its gut healing properties and you can choose to use vanilla or chocolate. This smoothie contains all natural ingredients such as raw honey, cashews, banana, coconut milk and more for a healthy way to start your day (oh, and the instant coffee can give you an energy boost if you are used to starting your day with a cup o’ joe).
You can always thicken these up for a delicious smoothie bowl if you prefer that as a meal instead of a morning smoothie. Just add less liquid to your bone broth smoothie recipe and top it with some healthy options like flax seeds, chia seeds, fresh berries, pumpkin seeds or even dark chocolate.
Drinking bone broth is a great way to improve gut health and heal the digestive system. Smoothies are a great way to get more bone broth into your diet. By using frozen fruits and vegetables, adding a source of protein, and including healthy fats, you can make a delicious and nourishing smoothie that will help you reach your goals.
Try one of these easy recipes today!
Want more great smoothie recipes? See all our smoothie recipes here.