Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.
Did you know that bok choy is a wonderfully mild vegetable that can be used in smoothies? In this guide we are going to look at how to use bok choy in smoothies, including sharing some great recipes!
Can Bok Choy be Used in Smoothies?
Bok choy (also known as Chinese cabbage) can be used in smoothies to add an extra burst of nutrients. The leafy green vegetable is a great source of vitamins A, C, K, and folate as well as essential minerals such as iron and calcium. It has a mild flavor that combines well with other ingredients like frozen fruit and yogurt. For the best results, blanch the bok choy before adding it to your smoothie for a smoother consistency. Bok choy smoothies are a great way to enjoy a delicious drink packed with vitamins and minerals!
What are the Benefits of Bok Choy in Smoothies?
There are many different health benefits of cruciferous vegetables. Bok choy is an excellent source of essential vitamins and minerals, making it a great addition to anyone’s diet. It is a good source of vitamin A and vitamin C, as well as calcium, potassium, and iron. These nutrients are important for keeping skin and bones healthy and for promoting overall health and well-being.
You also get a good amount of vitamin K and dietary fiber from bok choy and bok choy is low in calories making it a perfect addition to any meal.
Adding vegetables to your smoothie is an easy and delicious way to get some extra vitamins and minerals in your diet. You can include anything from leafy greens such as spinach or kale, to root vegetables like carrots or beets. Green smoothies can provide you with a well-balanced breakfast, offering both carbohydrates and protein.
Plus, they are great for picky eaters who may not normally enjoy eating their veggies. With a few simple ingredients, you can whip up a nutritious and tasty smoothie that will give you the energy and nutrients you need to start your day off right.
How to Prepare Bok Choy for Blending
Preparing bok choy for smoothies is a simple process. Begin by washing the leaves of the bok choy and then chop them into smaller pieces. Chopping the leaves into smaller pieces will help your blender break down the leaves more easily, resulting in a smoother smoothie texture. If you have a very high speed blender, you can use larger pieces.
I also really enjoy buying baby bok choy as it has smaller leaves and stems and works well in a blender.
You can also opt to cook the chopped bok choy before blending to make it an even milder flavor, especially if you prefer a sweeter-tasting smoothie.
Blending Bok Choy in Smoothies
Bok choy is a great addition to smoothies and can be blended in with a variety of fruits and vegetables. To get the perfect flavor, start by blending a small amount of bok choy and gradually add more to reach your desired taste.My favorite combination for a smoothie is bok choy, banana, and spinach. The banana adds natural sweetness while the spinach provides an extra boost of nutrients. These three ingredients blend together perfectly for a delicious and nutritious smoothie.
I find that I really enjoy using sweet fruits with bok choy. I use frozen or fresh fruit and really enjoy delicious smoothies made with overripe bananas (I enjoy them best when they have a few brown spots but aren’t too dark) and leafy vegetables like bok choy.
Bok Choy Smoothie Recipes
Here are a few easy and delicious bok choy smoothie recipes to get you started:
- Basic Green Smoothie: Blend together 1 cup of chopped bok choy, 1 banana, 1 cup of spinach, and 1 cup of water or unsweetened almond milk.
- Strawberry Bok Choy Smoothie: Blend together 1 cup of chopped bok choy, 1 banana, 1 cup of frozen strawberries, and 1 cup of water or unsweetened almond milk.
- Tropical Bok Choy Smoothie: Blend together 1 cup of chopped bok choy, 1 banana, 1 cup of frozen pineapple or mango, 1/2 cup of coconut milk, and 1/4 cup of orange juice.
Ways to Customize a Bok Choy Smoothie
- Add protein: Use protein powders, nut butters such as peanut butter or almond butter (which also add healthy fats), or Greek yogurt for a protein boost. Adding protein to a smoothie can help with weight loss and can help you feel full longer.
- Use other greens: Use collard greens, swiss chard, pak choi, kale or spinach in addition to, or in place of the bok choy in any of our recipes.
- Add a healthy topping: Add some zinc by topping with a few pumpkin seeds, add healthy omega-3 fats with chia seeds or top off your healthy smoothie with some extra fruit or even chocolate chips.
- Make it a smoothie bowl: Reduce the amount of liquid in the recipe for a thicker consistency, add filling toppings and you have a healthy meal.
Final Thoughts on How to Use Bok Choy in Smoothies
Adding bok choy to your smoothie routine is an easy and tasty way to get some extra nutrients in your diet. Bok choy is a very versatile vegetable that works well with many different fruits and vegetables, so it’s simple to add it to your breakfast smoothies. Give it a try—you’ll be surprised by how yummy and refreshing bok choy smoothies are!