Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.
As a mom on a weight loss journey, I’ve discovered the magic of smoothies. Not only have they become a staple in my diet, but they’ve also been a game-changer in how I nourish my four young sons. Today, I want to share with you how to take smoothies to work, a practice that has made a significant difference in my life.
Before I started working from home, I was a teacher. My days were long, and finding time for a nutritious meal during the school day was a challenge. That’s when I discovered the convenience and nutritional benefits of smoothies.
I began experimenting with different ingredients, from frozen fruit and almond milk to protein powder and Greek yogurt, and soon, I was creating delicious and healthy smoothie recipes that were easy to pack and take to work.
In this article, I’ll share my tips and tricks for preparing smoothies, how to store them, and most importantly, how to take smoothies to work. Whether you’re a busy professional, a parent trying to feed your kids healthier meals, or someone just trying to improve your eating habits, this guide is for you. Let’s dive in!
Why Smoothies are a Great Choice for Work
Smoothies are a fantastic choice for work for several reasons. First, they are incredibly versatile. You can mix and match ingredients to suit your taste and nutritional needs. Want a protein-packed smoothie? Add a scoop of protein powder or a spoonful of Greek yogurt. Looking for a dairy-free option? Use almond milk or coconut milk as your liquid base. The possibilities are endless.
Second, smoothies are easy to prepare. With a good blender and a few ingredients, you can whip up a delicious smoothie in minutes. You can use fresh fruit, but I personally love using frozen fruit. It gives the smoothie a thick, creamy texture and it means I don’t have to add ice.
Third, smoothies are portable. Once you’ve blended your smoothie, pour it into a mason jar or a reusable smoothie bottle, pop it in your bag, and you’re good to go. If you’re worried about it staying cold, you can freeze your smoothie the night before and let it thaw in your bag. By lunchtime, you’ll have a perfectly chilled, slushy smoothie.
Lastly, smoothies are a great way to sneak in some extra nutrition. If you struggle to eat enough fruits or vegetables, adding them to your smoothie is an easy way to increase your intake. You can also add other nutritious ingredients like chia seeds, flax seeds, or nut butter for an extra boost of healthy fats and protein.
Choosing the Right Ingredients for Your Smoothie
Creating the perfect smoothie for work involves a balance of flavors and nutrients. Here’s how I choose the right ingredients for my smoothies:
Fruits are the backbone of any good smoothie. They provide natural sweetness, a variety of flavors, and a host of essential vitamins and minerals. I often use a mix of fresh and frozen fruit. Fresh fruit, especially ripe bananas, adds a lovely creaminess to smoothies. Frozen fruit, on the other hand, gives smoothies a thick, frosty texture that I absolutely love. Some of my favorite fruits to include are strawberries for a classic strawberry smoothie, and frozen bananas which add a creamy texture and natural sweetness.
Adding a handful of greens to your smoothie is a great way to increase your vegetable intake. Spinach is my go-to because it blends well and has a mild flavor that’s easily masked by the fruit. If you’re feeling adventurous, you could also try adding kale or even mixed salad greens.
To keep me full throughout my busy workday, I make sure to add a source of protein to my smoothies. Greek yogurt is a fantastic option because it’s high in protein and adds a creamy texture. I also use protein powder, especially on days when I need an extra protein boost. If you’re dairy-free, there are plenty of plant-based protein powders available.
Healthy fats are essential for keeping you satiated. I love adding a spoonful of nut butter to my smoothies. Almond butter and peanut butter are my favorites, but any nut butter will do. Chia seeds and flax seeds are also great options. They’re packed with omega-3 fatty acids and fiber, and they give your smoothie a slight nutty flavor.
The type of liquid you use in your smoothie can greatly affect its taste and nutritional profile. I often use almond milk because it’s low in calories and gives my smoothies a light, nutty flavor. Coconut milk is another great option, especially if you want a tropical twist. If you’re not a fan of nut milk, regular dairy milk or even fruit juice can work too.
Depending on the fruit you use, you might not need to add any extra sweeteners. However, if you prefer your smoothies a bit sweeter, a touch of honey or agave nectar can do the trick. Just remember to use sweeteners sparingly – the natural sweetness from the fruit should be the star of the show.
Preparing Your Smoothie
Creating a delicious and nutritious smoothie is more than just throwing ingredients into a blender. Here’s my step-by-step process for preparing the perfect smoothie:
Choosing Your Blender
The first step in making a smoothie is choosing the right blender. You want a blender that can handle frozen fruit and ice without getting stuck. I personally use a high-speed blender, which makes my smoothies perfectly smooth and creamy.
Adding Your Ingredients
I start by adding my liquid to the blender first. This helps the blender run more smoothly and prevents the other ingredients from sticking to the bottom. Next, I add my fruits, vegetables, and any dry ingredients like protein powder or chia seeds. If I’m using any fresh ingredients like fresh fruit or spinach, I add those last.
Blending Your Smoothie
Once all my ingredients are in the blender, I blend on high until everything is smooth and well combined. If the smoothie is too thick, I’ll add a little more liquid and blend again. If it’s too thin, I’ll add more frozen fruit or ice.
Before pouring my smoothie into a jar, I always do a quick taste test. If it needs more sweetness, I’ll add a bit more honey or a ripe banana. If it’s too sweet, I’ll add more greens or a bit of lemon juice to balance it out.
Making Smoothies Ahead of Time
One of the best things about smoothies is that you can make them ahead of time. I often make a big batch of smoothies and freeze them in individual mason jars. In the morning, I just grab a jar from the freezer, let it thaw a bit, and it’s ready to go. This is a great option if you’re short on time in the mornings or if you want to prepare several days’ worth of smoothies at once.
Storing and Transporting Your Smoothie
Taking your smoothie to work requires a bit of planning to ensure it stays fresh and delicious. Here’s how I do it:
Storing Your Smoothie
If you’re making your smoothie the night before, you can simply store it in the fridge. I recommend using a mason jar with a tight-fitting lid to prevent any leaks. If you’re making your smoothie several days in advance, you can freeze it. Just remember to leave some room at the top of the jar for the smoothie to expand as it freezes.
Transporting Your Smoothie
When it’s time to head to work, you have a couple of options for transporting your smoothie. If your smoothie is frozen, you can take it out of the freezer and let it thaw in your bag. By lunchtime, it should be perfectly slushy and ready to drink. If your smoothie is refrigerated, you might want to pack it in a lunch box with an ice pack to keep it cold.
Drinking Your Smoothie
When it’s time to enjoy your smoothie, give it a good shake or stir to mix up any ingredients that may have settled. If you have access to a fridge at work, you can store your smoothie there until you’re ready to drink it. If not, aim to drink your smoothie within a few hours of taking it out of the fridge or freezer to ensure it stays fresh.
Thawing Your Smoothie
Thawing your smoothie properly is key to enjoying its fresh, delicious taste. Here’s how I do it:
Thawing at Room Temperature
If your smoothie is frozen, the easiest way to thaw it is to leave it at room temperature. I usually take my smoothie out of the freezer when I wake up, and by lunchtime, it’s thawed to a perfect, slushy consistency.
Thawing in the Fridge
If you prefer your smoothie a bit more liquid, you can thaw it in the fridge. Just remember to take it out of the freezer the night before so it has time to thaw.
If you forget to take your smoothie out of the freezer in time, you can speed up the thawing process by placing the jar in a bowl of warm (not hot) water. This should thaw your smoothie in about 20-30 minutes.
Tips and Tricks for a Perfect Work Smoothie
Over the years, I’ve learned a few tips and tricks for making the perfect work smoothie. Here they are:
Use a Variety of Fruits
Using a variety of fruits in your smoothie not only adds different flavors but also provides a wider range of nutrients. Try mixing and matching fruits to find your favorite combinations
Add Some Veggies
Don’t be afraid to add some veggies to your smoothie. Spinach, kale, and even avocado can add extra nutrients without changing the taste of your smoothie too much.
Don’t Forget the Protein
Adding a source of protein to your smoothie can help keep you full longer. Greek yogurt, protein powder, and nut butters are all great options.
Experiment with Different Liquids
Don’t be afraid to experiment with different liquids. Almond milk, coconut water, and even regular water can change the taste and texture of your smoothie.
Make It Sweet
If you like your smoothies sweet, consider adding a natural sweetener like honey or agave nectar. Just remember to add it sparingly – the natural sweetness from the fruit should be the star of the show.
Try a Personal Travel Blender
Eventually I ended up buying a personal travel blender that blended up my smoothies for me at my desk – so I could just bring a cooler with a mason jar of ingredients, dump them in and then blend!
Here are some travel blenders I recommend (I started with a $20 version):
- NINJA BLENDING ANYWHERE: Blast through frozen ingredients with Ninja’s best portable blending power. Make perfectly smooth drinks anywhere you go.
- LARGE CAPACITY: Makes up to 18 oz. of your favorite blends.
- PREMIUM COLORS: Choose a color that best fits your style.
- EASY TO CARRY: Take your drink on the go with a comfortable, hinged carry handle.
- SIP LID: Easy-open sip lid lets you blend and drink in the same vessel.
- Insert the infuser basket and fill with herbs and/or fruit to make refreshing flavored water on the go.
- Our convenient handled flip-and-sip lid design lets you easily transport and drink your creations, sans spillage.
- Each full charging session fills your battery with enough juice to power through 15+ blending cycles
- Compact and lightweight with a convenient handled lid, this little blender is designed to go wherever you do
- BLEND AND GO: Blend fruit smoothies, shakes and your favorite icy drinks right in the 14 oz. BPA-free travel jar. The personal blender jar comes with a travel lid to double as a to-go cup. It’s lightweight and fits most car cup holders
- POWERFUL BLENDING PERFORMANCE: Durable stainless steel blades on the blender power through ice, frozen fruits and leafy greens for smooth results. Perfect for adding more vitamins and nutrients into your diet in smoothies and protein shakes.
- QUICK & EASY CLEANUP: The blending jar, blades and travel lid on this Hamilton Beach blender are all dishwasher safe so cleaning up is a breeze.
- COMPACT DESIGN FITS MOST CUP HOLDERS: The small size of the personal blender jar makes it perfect for the home, office, travel, small dorms and apartments. The compact base comes with a 24” cord and convenient cord wrap.
- EASY ONE-TOUCH BLENDING. Quickly prepare a variety of icy drinks by just pressing the button. It’s so easy. This is sure to be your go-to blender for shakes and smoothies.
- 【Powerful Portable Blender】Our 270W portable smoothie blender features 6 sharp stainless steel blades, low working noise, and a rotational speed of up to 18,000 RPM, allowing you to easily crush ice cubes, frozen fruits, and vegetables. Make a nutritious smoothie or milkshake in just 30 seconds.
- 【Detachable Cup Jar Design】This portable blender has a detachable 20-ounce (600ml) BPA-free cup, easily replaced with a travel bottom cover for on-the-go use. Cleaning is easy as the personal size blender can be disassembled into 3 parts (lid, cup jar, blender base), and we also provide cleaning tools such as a straw brush, cup brush, and blade cleaning cloth.
- 【Blend & Pulse Mode】Our personal blender comes with dual modes. Blending mode is ideal for soft foods like strawberries, bananas, and kiwis, and automatically stops after 30 seconds. Pulse mode is perfect for frozen fruits, jams, ice cubes, and some hard ingredients. Double-click the switch, and the indicator light will flash yellow to enter pulse mode, then press and hold to blend, controlling the blending time freely.
- 【12 LED Indicator Lights】The portable blender for shakes and smoothies uses a Type-C charging interface and has a built-in 4000mAh rechargeable battery. 12 LED lights will display the battery status, indicating when charging is needed. More green lights mean a higher battery level. If the cup and base are not tightened, a red light will flash to indicate that the blender cannot be started. Increasing safety of use.
- 【Exquisite Gift & 12 Months Warranty】The BOSICTE portable juicer blender is stylish with diamond-cut textures on the cup body. It’s the perfect gift for family, friends, and loved ones! The package includes a blender, leather handle, travel bottom cover, 2*silicone straws & straw brush, cup brush, ice cube tray, blade cleaning cloth, charge cable & user manual. We offer a 12-month return/exchange policy and a lifetime service. If you encounter any problems, please feel free to contact us.
- Built-in 6 PCS SS304 stainless steel blades with 80W rated power motor and 5 rated voltage and rotation speed up to 20000rpm/min.The portable blender can easily liquidized anything including small ice cubes,protein/milk shakes, fresh juices,Salad dressings, baby food etc in no time.
- Never having to clean the portable smoothie blender again.One Button blending/cleaning, just put some water in the cup, press the button to start automatic cleaning. Remember not to wash the bottom fuselage and soak the whole blender into water for safety concern.
- The portable mixer contains no bisphenol A and is made of environment-friendly, food grade and non-toxic PCTG materials. Each product has passed strict quality inspection to ensure that it meets the standards. Our products are equipped with mechanical safety devices, including the battery to provide 100% overcharge and overheating protection to extend battery life. Fully ensure user safety.
- The large volume USB rechargeable battery ,all kings of smart-phone’s chargers are suitable for charging this product,the portable battery also can be used.80W rated power can be fully charged by about 3 hours and can use up to 15-20 times. 600ml capacity and only 1 lb product weight is easy to carry around in any circumstances.
- 90-Day Money-Back Guarantee-All customers can enjoy a 90-day money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied, you can return the item and get a refund. You do not have any risk of trying, we will provide you with the most comfortable service!
Common Questions on Taking Smoothies to Work
I transport smoothies to work by pouring them into a mason jar or a reusable smoothie bottle with a tight-fitting lid. If the smoothie is frozen, I let it thaw in my bag until lunchtime.
For school lunches, I pour the smoothie into a kid-friendly, spill-proof container. I then freeze it overnight. By lunchtime, it thaws to a slushy consistency that my kids love.
To keep smoothies cold for lunch, I pack them in a lunch box with an ice pack. If the smoothie is frozen, it will also stay cold as it thaws.
Yes, smoothies can be made ahead of time. You can make a big batch, pour them into individual containers, and store them in the fridge for a few days or in the freezer for up to three months.
A smoothie will stay cold for about 2-3 hours if kept in a lunch box with an ice pack. If the smoothie is frozen, it can stay cold for longer as it thaws.
Final Thoughts on How to Take Smoothies to Work
As a mom who used to take smoothies to work regularly, I can attest to the convenience, nutritional benefits, and sheer deliciousness that these blends bring. They’ve been a game-changer in my journey towards healthier eating and weight loss, and they’ve also been a hit with my four young sons.
Taking smoothies to work is more than just a way to enjoy a tasty lunch. It’s about nourishing your body with wholesome ingredients, even on the busiest of days. It’s about finding creative ways to incorporate more fruits, vegetables, and other nutrient-dense foods into your diet. And it’s about discovering that eating healthy doesn’t have to be complicated or time-consuming.
Whether you’re a seasoned smoothie lover or a newbie looking to try something new, I hope this guide has given you some valuable insights on how to take smoothies to work. From choosing the right ingredients and preparing your smoothie to storing, transporting, and thawing it, each step is an opportunity to create a meal that’s not only good for you but also enjoyable to eat.
So, go ahead and start experimenting with different smoothie recipes. Play around with various fruits, greens, proteins, and liquids until you find your perfect blend. And remember, the best smoothie is the one that you enjoy drinking.